Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Blog 10 Heart Disease

Is heart disease common in your family? What are some of the environmental, physical, cultural, socioeconomical, and educational factors that impact the prevalence of this disease?



       Heart Disease is very common in my family. My grandmother and great grandmother both passed away from heart disease. I know all too well the risk factors associated with heart disease and I also know the lifestyle they led is what caused them to eventually lead into heart failure. Both women in my family were smokers, about two packs a day, and ate good Ole southern food. They were not active in a way that allowed them to get their heart rate up through exercise and this is what probably led to heart disease. Because I know this, my mother has been an advocate for health in our family and has tried to teach me to live a lifestyle that protects my heart. I eat homemade healthy food ( most of the time), I play soccer (which my mom got me in to), and I do NOT smoke and rarely do I drink. These were all very important to my mother and she educated me on why these behaviors are so important to my health specifically.  Some factors that I know I should avoid are no smoking, heating healthy, staying active, keeping up with yearly doctor visits, avoiding too much alcohol, and staying informed on any new ways to prevent heart disease. The best thing for me to focus on is prevention because I know in the future I my chances of getting heart disease will increase. Its really odd to think I can prevent something as terrible as heart disease from taking my life or reducing my life expectancy. 


      I am currently dating a guy who was born with congenital heart defects and even at his age (24), he feels that effects but cannot yet do anything about it. He had a cardiac catheter procedure done, but they were unsuccessful in fixing his SA node as well as the hole in his heart. As minor as this seems compared to other heart problems, this makes a huge difference in the way he feels when he exercises and I couldn't imagine feeling the way he does. Because heart disease is the leading cause of death, I feel compelled to help him lead a healthier life and make better choices when it comes to diet and exercise. I have seen a change in him, but I still get worried that one day, one of us will be diagnosed with this debilitating disease and then what? 


      Heart Disease is tricky that way. Maybe you can do everything right and still get it wrong somehow and end up with heart disease. Hopefully, the changes I am making in my life will ultimately lead to a longer, happier, healthier life.


Sara Abbasi



1 comment:

  1. Well said! I commend your mother for instilling healthy living values that you are apparently sharing with your friends and family. Knowing the risk factors and prevention is more than half the battle in our fight against heart disease. Practicing good and healthy eating along with rest and relaxation is the other half the battle. Though exercise and diet are very important, we must also remember that treating ourselves to relaxation is also another way to combat heart disease. I offer you encouragement with your friend. We need more people such as yourself helping those who are in such states as your friend.

    ReplyDelete