Thursday, October 7, 2010

Blog # 6 Surrogacy

Surrogacy is something the just recently started to become very popular. Adaption seemed to be the only outlet for mothers and fathers that were infertile or had problems having children. I never really gave this any thought because like most young women, I can only imagine myself having children one day. But what if the chances I cannot have a child fall into my steps? Its truly a very frightening thought that I can one day realize I am unable to carry a child. The pain a woman goes through is probably the worst feeling she will ever have. But now there are some great options out there. Among the many ways to help a woman get pregnant, there is an alternative for women who have no chance or need another outlet. Its called surrogacy and its where a woman is paid to carry a child to term for a couple. In the video clip, a woman who helps the couple and agrees to carry their child describes the emotional journey both her and the couple face. She talks about how easy it is because she feels as though this is what she was meant to do. The video also shows how she has a family of her own and a husband who supports her in her decision to be a surrogate. This is extremely important in the process because both the couple and the surrogate need to have emotional support. I just think its great that we can help one woman to the next with something like this. 
We, as women, face so many issues and hardships and to be able to extend our bodies to carry for another woman is just magical really. Technically, the child is created from the husbands sperm and the surrogates eggs. So realistically , the child is hers too. But she notes that the planning involved before the pregnancy was about this child being apart of the couples life and how the baby was planned before it was created to be their (the couples) baby so that the decision was not a hard one to carry the child and give birth to it and hand it over to the couple. This takes true strength and compassion and I can only admire a woman capable of doing this. I hope woman across the world will reach out a hand when needed and put themselves in another womans shoes. 


Sara Abbasi




Reference


Marinella, K (Performer), Mallicoat, F (Performer), Wankum, M (Performer), & Ratte, M (Performer). Surrogate Moms [ Television series episode]. In (Executive producer), The Ten O'Clock News. Boston: WB

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sara,

    I think that surrogacy is humbling and that women who are willing to birth children for those who can't are amazing. I agree with you that it is emotional and that there is a lot of emotional support that is needed by the surrogate and the expectant couple. This is defintely something that I see becoming more and more popular for those older ladies who want more children and can't have them or just for women who are sterile. This is a great positive thing. Awesome post.

    Shenita Jolivette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara, I do believe that those women who go through surrogacy is definitely another kind of human being, a kinder simpler species. I'm not so sure if I could go through surrogacy. I know that in the future if I find out that I cannot carry my own child or if I am infertile, I definitely want to consider adoption. Well, I want to consider adoption whether I have children of my own or not. I think its a great blessing. The thought of surrogacy scares me. How can someone go through full term with a child and already make auditory connections with the fetus and then give the baby up. I'm sure it is hard thing to do. I was also surprised when I realized that the surrogate mother of this video had a family of her own. Usually, when I think of surrogates, I think of single women who became pregnant, or a single friend of the couples; I never thought a married woman would become a surrogate. I feel like the baby would be even harder to give up.

    By the way, I remember reading this article a few years ago about a grandmother being a surrogate to her grandchildren. Confused? Here's the link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1084909/Surrogate-mother-56-oldest-woman-birth-triplets--theyre-actually-grandchildren.html

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sara,
    What a personal decision. I think that it could be right for some women, but very few. It must be considered carefully, due to so many legal and emotional issues. I wonder historically, how common this practice was (I think of having a wet-nurse, like in the past? Certainly provides a lot of topic for discussion.
    Thank you,
    Amy Hicks

    ReplyDelete