In what ways could someone's culture, beliefs and practices influence contraceptive decision making?
Culture and beliefs make up our decision on most of the choices we make throughout out lives. It is not any different when it comes to contraception. I am half Persian and half white and for me, contraception was kind of a middle ground. What I mean by that is we were taught that it was a safe way to practice sex but at the same time we were also told that abstinence is the way to go. Because my mom was a nurse, she knew what contraceptives could do for young adults and the benefits for using them.
The two main contraceptives I knew of were condoms and birth control. Considering I grew up around my brothers and their friends it wasnt hard to figure out the reason my mom made it clear that waiting is best but that if we were to become sexually active to protect ourselves. She was pretty much talking to my brothers at the time. Being a female, the only daughter, I had responsibilities to wait. Once I turned 17 I realized I needed the help of birth control to regulate my monthly cycle. Growing up in a western culture made this decision easy on me without it looking like I was having sex. But I also knew what birth control could do for me if I were to get married or enter into a serious relationship and although religious fanatics dont believe in the prevention of conception, I personally believe I have a choice.
Sara Abbasi
No comments:
Post a Comment