Monday, November 29, 2010

Blog 14 Assault

What can a woman do to reduce her risk of  assault?




I think first thing a woman can do is buy herself pepper spray. If nothing else, having something on you can always help if you are being attacked. My brother bought me one to put on my key chain and to have some in my house and in my purse. He also bought me a taser which I mainly used on drunk people per request =).Never the less, I seemed to be a little prepared. Among having actual  physical objects, I was taught to always be aware of my surrounding. When you are out anywhere, by yourself or not, look around. Keep yourself aware because sometimes you might catch something you otherwise would not have noticed, like a car following you or someone staring a bit too long. I also have an older car so every time I get in I lock my doors immediately. I do this because if you are sitting a red light, stop sign, or behind a train someone can run up and jump in your car before you know it. 


I try to always be with someone no matter what because muggings usually only happen when you are alone so try to go to the store with someone you know. And always lock your doors, car and home. I have seen countless entry's of perpetrators because people left their front or back door unlocked. We can only do so much to protect ourselves, especially as women. I am not promoting the use of guns, but personally I go to the range and practice because I want to be prepared no matter what. I hope that if any kind of advice or training is offered, you guys will take it. It is so important to protect yourself and their are so many people out there that will and can hurt you. SO stay alert and prepared, always.


Sara Abbasi

4 comments:

  1. I really like your post. I carry pepper spray on me too, my boyfriend bought it for me. I think it's a great idea that you go out to the range and practice because you never know! I used to work at a restuarant in high school and on nights when I would close our managers had a rule that someone either had to watch us walk to our car or walk with us. I think that is a great rule that all jobs should enforce, espeically if employees are going to be working later hours and they are female.

    -Sarah Petersen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara,
    Assault isn't just physically damaging, it can be emotionally traumatic as well. I think carrying a pepper spray and taser is a good idea, not only it will protect a person it will give confidence in an uncomfortable situation. Another thing that can build confidence is self-defense course as you mentioned. Self-defense course can build confidence and teach valuable physical techniques a person can use to get away from an attacker. Great post!

    Subuk Usmani

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sara,
    I think always being aware of you surroundings is a key point. Sometimes when we are out shopping or busy, we become unaware of what is going on around us. Sometimes teenagers and young people focus so much on themselves, and their fun and freedom, they cannot fathom the possibility of something terrible happening. I think we can teach the younger girls in our lives about being aware, empowered, and vocal in a realistic manner. This is not to scare them, but give them the knowledge and some tools to protect themselves. I think prevention techniques can keep one safer in many instances.
    Thank you,
    Amy Hicks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara,

    You are very prepared, but that is good. Every woman should be as prepared as you are and should know how to use a taser with the world we live in now we have to be very cautious of our surroundings. You are also right about keeping your doors locked anybody can slip in your back seat or open the door and pull you out the car if you are not careful. Great post.

    Shenita Jolivette

    ReplyDelete