Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Blog 8 Menopause

Menopause, in our society, is viewed as something that most women do not look forward to. In most cases, they have valid reasons given the hot flashes, inability to reproduce, and other side effects that affect womens sexual life. But, it is also the beginning of something new. I think, at times, we stray away from the things that matter in life. Experience, age, family and friends... these things come with time and are all things to look forward too! Like these things, menopause is something we all know will happen for us. Its just another obstacle we women go through but it too will pass. I am only 23, but I cant imagine that this period will be too hard for me because although society looks at menopause as a bad thing, its just another time in our lives that we experience change. Sometimes I wonder how this can be viewed so negatively because its a natural part of life for women! As this time approaches, I think it's extremely important to remember who they are and that they can enjoy that person well into old age. If they can maintain a healthy lifestyle and make decisions that are best for their bodies and health, this process will only be that much less stressful. 
I remember when my mom started to experience the beginning stages of menopause at around her mid forty's and she was devastated. It was a time in her life she viewed as "getting old". Yet, she looked great, had lots of energy, was in a great job position, going back for her PhD, and still had lots of energy to travel and learn new things. How in the world could she think she was old? It is amazing what social stigmas can do to an individual and how they can break someone down like this. Now, after going through menopause for a few years, she is fine. She is the same person and although she still goes through some physiological changes every now and then, shes learned that it didnt really effect her the way she thought it would. Some ways we could change this view of menopause is to, as individual women... stand up for the natural process. As a women, I know I will have to embrace what is happening to my body and learn to change with this process. I also know that if anyone talks negatively about menopausal women, its my duty to stand up for them. I think we can all make that choice to embrace our biological changes and to also make the choice to not engage in behavior that only stimulated negativity of this change.


Sara Abbasi

2 comments:

  1. Sara,

    I think that more women need to take a stand as well and embrace menopause as something that is natural and going to happen no matter what. I know that if I was going through it I would appreciate a support group of women to be with me during that time and it would be nice to have women to share my thoughts and emotions with. At www.dailystrength.org they have menopause support groups where women can join an online community and discuss their issues with menopause. I am only 21 so I have a while before I get to menopause, but it is nice to read and learn about so that when I get there, I will be more educated and informed for what is happening.

    -Sarah Petersen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara,
    I really liked reading your views and thoughts on menopause. Menopause is a natural biological change that all women will eventually experience, and yes, we as women should embrace these changes. Women should not feel as though that menopause makes you old but instead should be a stepping stone to a new chapter in a woman's life. We as women should stand up to these negative stereotypes and support the women in our lives that are going through these difficult changes.
    -Brittany LeBron

    ReplyDelete