Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Blog # 7 STD's

Many people equate STDs with immorality, promiscuous behavior and low social status.


When I was in high school, I didn't know much about STD's. All I knew was that people who had them were promiscuous and it seemed to me that most of them were of the lower social status. Now that I am older, and more educated on the topic, I have come to realize that the statistics of people who have STD's effect all races, all cultures, and all social economic statuses. It is really sad that people make comments judging others who have an STD because in reality, no one is safe from it. Their are men and women who are born with it, who are raped, and who are lied to by their partners. In fact, in our culture, not even using a condom can fully protect you. I know a few people who have contracted an STD from their husbands because they were too scared to tell their wifes what they had. Instead of socially ostracizing people with a disease, we should be putting in all of our effort to find cures and better treatments for them. People are dying every day from untreated STD's all over the world and I find it repulsive when someone takes the time out to say how gross and dirty STD's are and that anyone who has them must be ignorant sexually active person. I often wonder if it is those people who actually have a secret themselves. 
Education, as usual, is the best way to inform people about the risks they are taking when becoming sexually active. The research being done on the treatments for STD's is only getting better each day and is only getting closer towards a cure. I hope that people will only mature as they grow and take into consideration the magnitude of their influence in helping this cause. It's actually really scary when you think about it because we are all looking for someone to spend out life with and even when we find that person, you can never really know you are safe. Hopefully, the research can improve in the next couple of years to include ways prevent the spread of major STD's with no cure and permanently find cures for them.


Sara Abbasi

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on education completely. Today it is really hard to trust even your partners for life. Education should be stressed especially for the youth of our country. It is obviously so scary to find out a person has STD's but if someone is sexually active with or without protection it should be their own will to find out by getting tested as well.

    ReplyDelete